Beach Schools ™
As the concepts of outdoor learning are becoming more widely accepted and applied to a UK audience, there is an increasing need for quality and safety to sit hand in hand. Archimedes, as a leading qualifications development centre and training organisation, had an increasing number of requests for ideas and a framework through which children, practitioners and this specific environment can be safeguarded.
Beaches have always attracted a large number of individuals from a range of social and economic backgrounds to utlilise for a as many needs and requirements as those using them. Uses range from pleasure and leisure, to recreation, sport, education and other creative employment sectors.
Intended participants will be already qualified to work with children and have a passion for or experience of outdoor play and learning. You can be working with children from a range of settings and ages and the activities we cover on the course enable you to understand the development of Beach Schools, apply it directly to your chosen group and be able to identify and use case studies of the use of Beaches as an educational resource from both an international and local perspective.
For those who have easy access to the 11,000 miles of shores that surround the British Isles, it is not surprising that these are becoming an inspirational learning environment and parents and carers as well as educators are seeing and experiencing very positive impacts on their children.
Once the course is completed, the learner will be able to understand the sustainable management of marine beach ecosystems as a learning resource through the development of understanding of the ecological structure, management methods of local marine ecosystems and be able to demonstrate how to use and teach a range of practical skills appropriate to Beach Schools to include:
- Temporary shelters using appropriate knots and resources.
- Fire lighting and beach cooking fire
- Pedagogical approaches to designing and delivering Beach School sessions
- Use effective reflective processes
- Development of Emotional Intelligence and Social Skills
- Understand the unique Health and Safety requirements for running Beach Schools.
Areas investigated are:
- Tidal forecasts
- Seasons and tides
- Fires and Landowners
- Benefits Analysis and supporting the safety of your group
- Basic good working practice procedures
Open Awards Beach Schools Practitioner
6 Credits at Level 3 GLH 16 with 44 hours of self-study
2 Days £375
This qualification can be utilised independently to assure parents, local authorities and employers that Beach School Practitioners:
- Consider children’s safety as paramount,
- Exercise good practice at all times
- Use the marine shores and beaches in a sustained way for the benefits of future generations
- Are continually productive in educating our children on the coastline with their unique qualities and habitats
There is also an Archimedes Level 2 Beach Schools Learning Assistant qualification that is suitable for those over 14 years…please contact us for more details